7.01.2007

Restaurant Review #187: Golden Crown Wok Palace, Sherman Oaks


Kung pao chicken

Ignore what I've said in the past--Golden Crown is my new favorite restaurant for Chinese delivery in the Valley. Their sauces are flavorful, their meat is cooked correctly, and the food always arrives quickly and piping hot.

I don't know when I will ever find kung pao chicken that lives up to my memories of the stuff I ate as a child (quality chicken, plenty of sauce that was neither too thick nor too thin, and pleasantly spicy), but Golden Crown's is a close second. The sauce is not very spicy, but it is flavorful, and there aren't a lot of obnoxious veggies standing between me and my chicken and peanuts. Yum.


Sweet and pungent chicken

Sweet and pungent chicken is candied meat at its best, if you're into that sort of thing. Most of the time, Golden Crown's version is cooked to perfection, which is more than I can say of most other Chinese restaurants in the area. If you've ever had overcooked fried meat, you know how tough and chewy it can be. If you've never had pungent chicken, it's similar to orange chicken, but a bit sweeter and a bit more sour (hence the "pungent" part of the name).


Cashew chicken

Overall, what sets Golden Crown apart from the other Chinese restaurants I've tried is that each dish has a generous amount of very flavorful sauce and they use high quality chicken cut into easy-to-eat, bite-sized pieces. Almost all of the chicken dishes are excellent (with the exception of the fatty sesame chicken), though I generally order the same trio you see here over and over. Also, their rice is always soft and fluffy while still maintaining a bit of bite. I can't really comment on the beef dishes--I didn't like the kung pao beef, but I never like the beef dishes at Chinese restaurants because I always think the meat tastes fishy.

Ordering from Golden Crown is always easy and efficient since they store your address in their system, and the food always comes quickly and on time.

Golden Crown Wok Palace
4722 Woodman Ave.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
818.784.8287
Free delivery within three miles
Over three miles add $2.00
$10.00 delivery minimum
Mon - Thur. 10am - 9:30pm
Fri. 11am - 10pm
Sat. & Sun. 11:30am - 10pm
Entrees $8 -$13
Golden Crown Wok Palace on Urbanspoon