5.21.2006

Restaurant Review #135: Bamboo Cuisine, Sherman Oaks


Hot braised scallops

I normally order from Joie Luck Kitchen when I'm hanging out in the valley, but I think I might be able to do better. Since I was still full from my lunch at The Great Greek, it seemed like a good time to try an unfamiliar place: Bamboo Cuisine.

The takeout menu they mailed out is quite attractive, and probably the main thing that convinced me to order from them. It isn't set up quite the same way as other Chinese takeout menus though: an entire half of the menu is devoted to specials, which aren't divided by meat category. With so many specials, were they trying to warn me away from ordering anything else?


Chicken with tangerine sauce

It's not exactly that Bamboo Cuisine's food is bad; it's that it's overpriced and doesn't match the descriptions on the menu. My hot braised scallops were supposed to be sweet, spicy and gingery; they were only sweet. For $14.95, I was hoping for decent quality mollusks, but instead I got the chewy kind. Likewise, the chicken with tangerine sauce contained nary a trace of citrus and also couldn't justify its above average price. I will say that both dishes were heavy on the meat/seafood, so if you're the type who doesn't like veggies in their food, there is an upside. Of course, Joie Luck is the same way, so again, Bamboo loses. The one advantage Bamboo does have is that they are open an extra hour.



Zagat may think this is the best Chinese restaurant in the Valley, but I strongly disagree, and I haven't even tried the other options yet. Next time, I plan to try one of the restaurants recommended to me by my fellow hounds.

If you've been to Bamboo Cuisine, how was your experience? Leave a comment!

Bamboo Cuisine
14010 Ventura Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
818-788-0202
Sun-Thur 11:30am-10:30pm
Fri-Sat 11:30am-11:00pm
$15 minimum, $2 delivery charge
Map
Bamboo Cuisine Website (with menu)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a great Chinese place on Magnolia (near Van Nuys Blvd, I think). I used to go there all the time... the crab rangoons are amazing, and it's cheap! I thought it was called "Bamboo Forest," but the only Bamboo Forest I can find listed is on Magnolia near Coldwater. Hmmm...

Anonymous said...

Great food. It looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Bamboo is absolutely my favorite chinese food place in the valley- i liken it to mandarette on beverly and orlando. absolutely fabulous, you have to try the bamboo chicken (black pepper chicken).