1.18.2014

Restaurant Review #266: Yozen Frogurt, Westlake Village


I decided to try Yozen Frogurt because I was feeling burned out on Yogurtland, my usual froyo shop of choice. There was also a bit of a Hollywood glam factor in my decision--I've seen either this location or the West Hills one (I'm not sure which) in more than one episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians, the show I most love to hate.

At 9:30 on a Saturday night, the store was nearly dead, but it was immaculately clean and the two employees were both friendly. I was only given two sample cups, which hardly seemed adequate when there were 16 self-serve flavors to choose from, none of which I had ever tried before. I put two samples in each cup so I could try more, though it occurred to me later that I probably could have asked for more sample cups. I get that they don't want people to just come in and eat samples and leave, but I'd think that the more samples you let people try, the more delicious flavors they'll want to buy.

The store's layout is a bit awkward, with toppings in more than one place, not enough room between the secondary topping bar/checkout station and frozen yogurt machines, and the large yogurt cups in dispensers against a far wall where I didn't even see them until I checked out (with two small yogurt cups containing less yogurt than I wanted to purchase but as much as I could carry). Also, some of the toppings are in dispensers that make it difficult to control how much comes out--it would be better if they were in containers with spoons.

Despite these gripes, Yozen Frogurt is my new favorite frozen yogurt place because the flavors are a cut above. Supposedly they have just 12 to 20 calories per ounce, which is hard to believe given how sweet and rich they taste and how creamy their texture is. Of course, I obliterated the low calorie count by topping my froyo with peanut butter syrup, marshmallow syrup, butterscotch syrup, caramel syrup, Oreos, and cinnamon Cap'n Crunch. The prices are similar to those of other frozen yogurt shops. Of the flavors I tried, I didn't think the butterscotch or no-sugar-added vanilla had much flavor, but I loved the peanut butter, dulce de leche, and horchata and I'd highly recommend Yozen Frogurt.

Yozen Frogurt 
2900 Townsgate Rd.
Westlake Village, CA 91361
805-230-3800
Hours: Sunday through Thursday, 11:00am to 10:00pm; Friday and Saturday, 11:00am to 11:00pm
Yozen Frogurt flavors
Yozen Frogurt website

No comments: