9.14.2005

Restaurant Review #57: Coffeecana, Koreatown

Had someone else not pointed me to this place, I doubt I ever would have visited it, but this is the third strip mall gem I have found in the last month so I should probably get over my strip mall prejudice.

Coffeecana, located on the second floor of strip mall on Wilshire in Koreatown, serves both the usual lattes and cappucinos as well as boba, shaved ice (bingsu), and other exotic treats (which are not-so-exotic if you're Korean). The menu was quite extensive.

Additionally, the place was pretty quiet and had nice tables and chairs, which made it a good place for my book club meeting. On a Sunday afternoon, we were the only ones there. I've only been once, so I can't speak about the overall popularity of the place.

I had a shaved ice with red beans and fruit (served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry). It was $6 and it was huge--more than I could eat. The shaved ice was very tasty and I enjoyed the treat overall, although I would have preferred that all the fruit be fresh (the banana was fresh, of course, but the pineapple was from a can).

Coffeecana
3959 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010
(213) 389-2838

No comments: